I know that it is very easy to talk about prayer, the biggest challenge is to pray.
People know the mechanics of it, everything that they have to do when they pray, even some words, or the right words. The problem is to pray.
People can say when someone is praying in the wrong way, or using wrong words, they can feel an insincere prayer. The difficulty is to pray.
People can detect when someone is preaching through his/her prayer, they can read between lines that there is message there. The trouble is to pray.
We must stop talking about prayer and we should start praying. Just do it!
In the Sermon of the Mountain, Jesus teaches about prayer. This is what He said: Matthew 7: 7-11 – “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
“Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”
In this text Jesus is teaching his disciples how to pray. His disciples saw him praying and wanted to learn how to do it. The same desire should be in our hearts. The desire to pray and to pray right.
Jesus shared with them three important lessons about prayer, what we should do, if we want to pray in the way that Jesus taught his disciples.
1 – Pray For
The first activity of prayer is to pray for someone. We should be able to pray for each other.
This is what the Bible tells us in James,
James 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
Here are a few steps on how you should do that:
- Ask the person if you could pray for him/her.
- Ask him/her if there is a specific need that should be addressed at that moment.
- Tell him/her that you will say a short prayer.
- If you and him/her feel comfortable put your hand on his/her shoulder or hold his/her hand.
- Say your prayer out loud.
The next step is to know how to do it. Here are some elements that should be incorporated in your prayer.
- Address to God: Dear God, Father, heavenly Father, Almighty God, and others. The Bible reading will give many other terms to address to God.
- Say the need and request.
- Close in the way that Jesus taught His disciples, I pray or ask IN HIS NAME, IN JESUS’ NAME, IN THE NAME OF JESUS. You need to be sure that these are not magic words that will open a door to the presence of God. You must believe that Jesus is the mediator between you and the Father
My challenge for you is to try these simple steps with someone. Just do it!
Have a blessed week,